Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Buddhist Beads

Recitation beads is a culture of some of the oldest religions of the world - Called the mala in Hinduism and Buddism, or the rosary in Catholicism, it is a way to keep in track of the number of times one has recited the name of the lord. In Buddhism, the 108 beads represent the 108 afflictions of the mind to break. Buddhist beads have also been used as a way of creating affinity among fellow practitioners by means of a gift.

I have received many precious gifts from such friends... some made with really rare materials, some hold deep meanings. I lost my green mala given to me by an old friend from Tibet... but I have also gained new malas from new friends... I have also given some malas to some friends... such is the way of the world... things come and things go... the Great exchange is always happening.

Here are some of the beads I've been given.
The 1st 2 white ones are from the wood of a 400 year old tree on Mt. Wutai. Given by Mrs. Wong.
The sandalwood one with yellow string is from my grand father.
The pure white one is made of Lapis Lazuli from the sea. Given by Madalena.
The bodhi seed one was given to me by Eric when he was only 10 years old.
The crystal one is from Sandy.
The green jade one is from a monk from Myanmar
The white jade one is from Yong Heng Shr from Myanmar as well.
The green chandana wood one is from a nun in Gaomin Si, China.
The smallest one, I'm not sure where its from... probably a souvenior store.
And I lost my green one from Lama Teshe from Tibet... so sad...

No comments: