Tuesday, July 29, 2008

phom yak rian pa sa thai (I wan to learn thai)

It was yet another cold, freezing summer's day in Pacifica... makes u just wan to do nothing but hibernate. Its cool at first to see the fog fly pass your window everyday, but after awhile, things get gloomy.. I miss the sun...

Been thinking of learning Thai ever since meeting Ajahn Jumnian and Ajahn Prasert several months back, but just never got to it. And after watching a thai movie and listening to some thai songs, I finally got inspired to give it a try... After staring at the wriggly, squiggly script of the thai language for hours, I still could make no sense of it... =.=... Thai is difficult to learn...

Other than being able to understand the teachings from those eminent teachers, and understanding the movie, I don't really know what other motivation I have to learn it. Yet I still want to learn! Lolz... Well, my grandfather speaks fluent thai... and erm, I guess the last time i went to thailand was 20 years ago... gheez... I'm growing old...lolz... All I remembered from that trip was that instead on placing the gold leaf on the buddha, I placed it on myself instead. Lolz... You can't blame a 4 year old! And oh yah, I made a really good friend there... but lost touch over the years...

So the 1st song currently playing at my blog is a thai love song. Thou I don't understand the original language, I think the melody is really nice, and the meaning of the lyrics is simple and straightforward too. I think thats the way love songs should be. The songs we have now have just too much techno or rap or what notz in it... So anyway, here's the translation:

taa bok waa pleng nee dtaeng hai ter ter ja cheua mai
If I told u that this song was meant for you, would you believe me?

man aat mai pror mai seung mai suay ngaam meuan pleng tua bpai
It may not sound as beautiful as other songs.

yaak hai roo waa pleng rak taa mai rak gor kian mai daai
You may not know that love songs couldn't be written out without feelings of love

dtae gap ter kon dee roo mai chan kian yaang ngaai ... daai
But for you, sweetheart, it all came out easily.

ter kong koie dai-yin pleng rak maa nap roi pan
You may have heard thousands of love ballads

man aat ja dohn jai dtae gor mee kwaam maai meuan-meuan gan
Some may touch your heart, though they mean nothing more.

dtae taa ter fang pleng nee pleng tee kian peua ter tao nan
But you'll know when you listen to this song, it was meant just for you.

peua ter kao jai kwaam maai laew jai ja daai mee gan lae gan
You would know by heart what it meant, and we would be there for each other.

Chorus:
---
hai man bpen pleng bon taang dern kiang tee ja mee piang siang ter gap chan
Let the song play while we're walking together on that path. All I hear is just the voice of you and me.

yoo duay gan dtraap naan-naan
We'll be together for so long.

dang nai jai kwaam bok nai ga-wee waa dtraap dai tee mee rak yom mee wang
As mentioned in the poem, that when there's love, there is always hope.

keu took krang tee rak kong ter song jai chan mee bplaai taang
Your love has lightened up my heart, you are my destiny
---

mee kwaam jing yoo nai kwaam rak dtang maak maai
Love has many truths to look for.

lae tee paan maa chan chai way-laa peua haa kwaam maai
And I have wasted my lifetime searching for them.

dtae mai naan gor perng roo meua took krang tee mee ter glai
But not so long ago, I realized when I get close to you,

waa taa chee-wit keu tam nong ter gor bpen dang kam rong tee pror lae seung jap jai
if life's a rhythm, you're the beautiful lyrics to this song that has touched my heart...

Chorus x 2

mee taang dern hai rao dern kiang lae mee siang kong ter gap chan
We walk along the way, and all I hear is the voice of only you and me.

mee taang dern hai rao dern kiang lae mee siang kong ter gap chan
We walk along the way, and all I hear is the voice of only you and me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YOU CAN DO ITTTT :)

You're too talented already - save some skills for the rest of us XD