Saturday, December 20, 2008

The night before 冬至

On the way to meet Alvin for Lunch at North point, I bumped into my PS John Lee in the bus, and then one of my soldiers Ervin at the bus interchange station. I also bought Muah Chee from the same old aunty I used to buy from since primary school. I call her the Yishun bus interchange muah chee auntie. Lolz.

After lunch, we drove to the Esplanade to catch a play - "Late Check Out Please." Think its my 1st time watching a drama play. Enjoyed the experience. Following that, we walked around Marina Square where I bumped into a secondary school friend. He remembered my name. I forgot his.. Oopz... And he got me to write a wish on some ballon ball thing that will be tossed into the Singapore River on new years day.

Did some window shopping with Alvin for a while as he was going to a xmas party after and when Weyman showed up, I left. I wasn't invited to that party anyway. Lolz. Went to Causeway point to meet Jeffrey for dinner and we bumped into his mum and aunt! What a coincidence... so we had coffee together before going our separate ways.

Came back home and I saw that my grand mother had prepared glutinous rice balls for tml! MMMmmm Mmmz! My favourite! Especially when it is cooked the traditional nonya style! And no its not an inspiration from the current nonya movie. Its a tradition in my family. We're part peranakan.

This dish is usually ate only once a year on the day we call 冬至, (the day where day and night is just as long,and the arrival of winter) And whenever we ate this dish, it holds the significance that the year is coming to an end and we are yet another year older. Really fun experiencing all these traditions. But of course, the supermarket these days sell them year through. Back in the days when we could only have this once a year, you can imagine the anticipation I have whenever I see my grandmother rolling those 湯圓 the night before.

No comments: