Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Reliving the Past

Stayed at Andrew's place till 12 before heading back to San Ramon to Aunt Agnes' place. At night, as the the cousins sat about, Aunt Laysun, Aunt Agnes, Aunt Jane and my grand mother suddenly started talking about the past to us. The kampung village days, the days where my great grand mother was the village's matriach and how they suffered during those days. Getting whacked if they woke up after 7am, getting their heads smashed into concrete walls, looking out for flying porcelains thrown by her, travelling miles to get ingredients for food, tending to the various house duties from the age of 7, and only getting to eat left overs, sometimes even having to steal food. The neighbours all feared my great grand mother I heard. Tough times they were, but it was that that drew the family close as they grew up.

The later generations are a lucky generation, with elders who are no longer such strict disciplinarians. I guess those my age got to experience both. I lived in a kampung village all the way till 7 before moving into government estates. So I've had my share of canes and tough punishments, pounding chilli with a stone and getting slapped in the face... But those are the important times... the times that have built my personality, and made me who I am...

1 comment:

:D said...

yeah...the past is like a part of a person's foundation